The U Visa: Obtaining Status for Immigrant Survivors of Crime will guide you through the entire process of handling an immigration case for a U visa petitioner—from eligibility screening for U nonimmigrant status, to communicating about the waitlist, bona fide determination, and deferred action, to adjustment of status, to assisting eligible family members, and to helping U nonimmigrants travel.
In addition to providing a thorough explanation of the requirements and application processes, this manual includes numerous practice pointers and sample materials to help you in handling your client’s case. These include sample checklists, cover letters, declarations, instructions to clients, responses to requests for evidence, prosecutorial discretion requests, motions to the immigration court, and more.
New in this Edition
- Descriptions of the U nonimmigrant status bona fide determination process;
- Updates on representing U visa petitioners in removal proceedings;
- Practice pointers on how to use recent ICE and USCIS guidance to assist survivors of crime;
- Thorough discussion of age-out concerns and policies;
- Practice tips related to waivers;
- Updates for assisting U nonimmigrant clients with travel issues, parole, and consular processing;
- More sample materials including trauma informed resources, RFE responses, immigration court motions, parole samples, and outreach and explanatory materials for clients.